Monday, February 1, 2010

Deep Sea Fishing for Tuna

Earlier this summer I took the opportunity to do something I have put off for years, namely going out to the gulf stream and fishing. My youngest son and I took a charter from Oregon Inlet early in the morning, and when I say early, that's what I mean. We had to be there at o'crack of dawn for the 3 hour trip out to the warmer gulf stream. Our charter was the Trophy Hunter, one of the Offshore Fleet boats. Since we were part of a make-up group, we did not know the other four people on the boat with us, but getting to know them was part of the trip. We had the highest hopes of a wonderful trip, which indeed it was. The trip out was a bit bumpy but fine with me. My son on the other hand had difficulties with the boat pitching and rolling which seemed to bother his stomach a bit. Once we got out everything changed.

As we approached the gulf stream, the more populated it became, not with people, but with boats. It seemed like a small fishing city out there with about 20 boats in sight and more silhouetted on the horizon. The boat's mate was fantastic and started getting all the equipment ready for us. All of the rods and reels were brought out and the process of baiting the lines began one at a time until we all had wet lines, trolling around. The trick to actually not tangling the lines was to keep a substantial distance between the lines. Again, the mate was wonderful and assisted everyone.
The first strike happened within ten minutes and suddenly the "fighting" seat was occupied. I was surprised to see how much energy and time it took to reel in a 75 pound tuna. It took about 20 minutes for the fish to be "gaffed" and I must admit, I never had seen a fish bleed like that before. When the tuna was safely in the boat and on ice, the mate hosed down the deck and we all started again. This time we all knew what to expect. After a while my son
got a strike and fought the tuna for about twenty minutes till his arms just could not take anymore and he passed the pole to me. Mocho me went into action and reeled and pulled and did it again and again till I heard the mate say the fish was in sight. Hell, I had been pulling this fish in for 15 minutes and those were the best words I could have heard all day long. The mate finally got his gaff hook in the fish and landed it.
What a feeling! After all the excitement was over I wished I would have done a bit more homework to know what to expect.

The day continued just like that again and again. It took no more than three hours until the captain said we had reached our limit. On the way back in we all redescribed our moments of glory to each other as if it was a new story to tell someone who was not there.

Once we reached the docks and unloaded the tuna, we had about 150 pounds of tuna each. It was one of the best days I can remember especially sharing it with my son. For those of you visiting the Outer Banks for the first time, this is a must do!

If you would like to see the Oregon Inlet Cam click here.
 

No comments:

Sociofluid